Friday, October 16, 2009

Here we go!

Well this month is Breast Cancer Awareness month so I have officially started my fundraising. So far I have raised roughly $200, it's a start right?! And that was in the first two weeks. The majority of it was a lump donation but still, it is a start. I have my "Every Penny Counts" jar out for pocket change for people to donate and a 50/50 raffle going(which isn't too much of a hit with people at work). I know what is a hit though, SWEETS! I went to Pat Catan's and got some cancer awareness ribbon molds for chocolate and made some chocolate ribbon pops. Pink and milk chocolate and they sold out in two days. So I guess I will be making more this weekend.

I guess I can start by giving a little background as far as why I am walking this year. In 2008, I volunteered at closing ceremonies with the gear retrieval team and was so moved by the experience that I wanted to do more. So this year I was a part of the Camp Services Crew. It was one of the most amazing, emotional and life changing experiences I have ever had! I met so many people that have touched my heart and made such a difference in my life. I have lifetime friends and lifetime inspiration from my 3 Day experience.

I do not have any family members or friends that have been affected by breast cancer, but from my 3 Day experience, I have met many breast cancer survivors and many other people that have been affected by the disease. So I want to fight for those women who can't and for the women of the future (little girls like my niece), because like the motto says..everyone deserves a lifetime!

So for next year, I decided to take on the next level and be a walker. I want to walk atleast one year, but I know that I will be involved in this event until I can no longer do it. Whether I am walking, crewing or volunteering, I WILL be involved.

I want to help raise awareness of breast cancer and help raise funds for education, research and eventually the cure!! So that is why I am doing what I am doing.

I am starting this journal to detail my journey of my training and fundraising.

Check out the link to my page on the3day.org -
http://www.the3day.org/site/TR/2010/ClevelandEvent2010?px=2380004&pg=personal&fr_id=1464

No comments:

Post a Comment